WordPress is a free and open-source tool for creating websites. In the past, WordPress was primarily used for blogs, but has become a full service content management system (CMS). Umbra Hosting provides an automated method for installing WordPress and many other website platforms, using a tool called Softaculous.
Softaculous is Umbra Hosting’s one-click website software installation tool that can be used to install over 300 scripts, such as shopping carts, photo galleries, guest books, and content management systems. We will be using Softaculous to install WordPress for us.
Before we install WordPress, you will need your cPanel login URL, cPanel username, and cPanel password. cPanel is the control panel where you can configure different aspects of your website and email accounts. The cPanel login information is emailed to you when your account is set up.
- To install WordPress, log into your cPanel account. Once you have logged in, you will see a screen with many different icons. On the left side of the screen, there is a ‘Find’ box – type ‘softaculous’.
- Click on the ‘Softaculous’ icon.
- In the search bar at the top-right of the screen, type ‘wordpress’ and click on the W icon.
- Click the blue ‘Install’ button.
- Enter your desired settings and click ‘Install’.
- Choose Protocol: leave this set to http:// or http://www.
- Choose Domain: Select your domain name.
- In Directory: Remove ‘wp’ if you don’t wish to install WordPress within a subfolder.
- Database Name: Leave this setting as-is unless you know what you’re doing.
- Table Prefix: Leave this setting as-is unless you know what you’re doing.
- Site Name: Choose a name for your website.
- Site Description: Enter a description for your website.
- Enable Multisite (WPMU): Leave this unchecked unless you know what you’re doing.
- Admin Username: Choose a username that will be used to log into WordPress.
- Admin Password: Choose a password that will be used to log into WordPress.
- Admin Email: Enter your email address.
- Select Language: Choose your desired language.
- Email installation details to: Enter your email address (optional).
- The installation process will take a moment. Once it’s complete, you will receive a URL to log into WordPress and begin creating your website.
There are many free WordPress themes available, but premium (paid) themes often allow for more customization and features. Premium WordPress themes can be purchased through ThemeForest.